Wednesday, January 2, 2013

For my one and only ....

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but I just haven't had the time to sit down and write it.
2012 was a busy year. 365 days packed full of stuff. Kaitlyn and I bought a house and created roots, where we can hopefully live for a very long time. It was slightly (ha) stressful, but now that we've been in the house a few months, it was well worth the wait.

Today is our 2 year anniversary, and ironically we are in Colorado where it all began. I always make fun of Kaitlyn, because though she swears she had feelings for me, she spent a whole weekend with me, avoiding eye contact and barely saying more than two words. That was in September 2010. I came back to visit in December 2010, staying over the New Year holiday. We had been in contact the entire time I was away, so I hadn't seen her in a few months. Over the course of the next nine months, I would make many more trips to Colorado, and she was able to come visit me in Texas. It was a long nine months, it's not very easy to get to know someone simply using phone calls, texts and emails. But we made it work. She made the very brave decision to move to Texas and we decided to really see if what we felt over a bunch of strung together weekends was really what we thought it was.

Obviously, it was meant to be and here we are today. Most days it still seems unreal to me. It seems unreal that after all the time, distance, and miles apart that Kaitlyn could fall in love with me, and continue to love me, day after day. I know I am not always easy to deal with, but I will tell you that she handles me every day and only loves me more each day. I think people always assume that after time that love starts to fade, but I am proud to say that is not the case for us. Painted on our bathroom wall is the phrase, "I Love The Way You Love Me". I look at it every day & it brings peace to my heart that Kaitlyn will love me every day for the rest of my life. Though we have many more obstacles to overcome, I am confident that we can face them together. As heartbreaking as it would be to not "be able to" marry Kaitlyn, in an official ceremony, I have full faith in my heart that no piece of paper is going to make us more committed to each other than we already are. It's stupid and trivial that I even have to make this consideration. I shouldn't have to ask people that never will know me or my story to marry someone that I love. Another argument for a different day, but regardless, whether it is approved by the government or not, I already have everything that I want. I met Kaitlyn and I knew the minute I saw her, that there was something special about her. I felt it, and if you ask her, she too will tell you the same thing. It is a wonderful thing & I still feel it when I look at her. I wish for everyone to have this feeling. Because it truly is magical.

This song is the very first song that was "our song". Everytime I hear it, it still brings me back to those first few days I met Kaitlyn. This one is for you, bug. You are my best friend, my soul mate, and my better half. Here is to many, many, many more years and memories together. I love you sweetheart.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!! You two are a special and I know many happy memories and happy years are in store. We love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course it will be an official ceremony, a piece of paper can't quantify your love for each other. The important thing is that your hearts are together and you make the commitment to each other. Every thing else is gravy and eventually you'll get the gravy too. I'm glad we met the two of you and are friends and I hope for the best for you in the years to come!

    ReplyDelete