So it has been a while since I have posted. A lot has been going on,
Kaitlyn got really sick and my attention has been elsewhere. However, due to
some recent media events, I am ready to share my thoughts with you again.
First, let me start off by saying I try to respect everyone & I
think of myself as a fairly good friend. Judging by my circle of close friends,
I think that they agree with that statement. I generally am pretty laid back, I
try for the most part to mind my own business and let you mind yours. This
particular topic that I keep writing about keeps surfacing and so it is now
time for me to speak my own words. It's my blog & I can say what I want. I
respect if you and I don't share the same opinion & if that is the case,
don't read it.
Writing on this particular topic always makes me emotional. When I write
these blogs, I am usually by myself, with my headphones on so I can focus.
Today is no exception. My friends all know I am gay and that I of course,
have an opinion. I do. I feel that it is my facebook and my twitter and I can
post what I want. Sometimes I get annoyed at what people post, but I just
scroll right past it. That is the beauty of the internet, if you don't want to
read it or see it, don't. It does hurt me that some people have been so annoyed
by all the recent Chik fil a events that they post about it. It's not just
about sandwiches. I'm not asking you to share my beliefs or agree with me, or
telling you that I hate you if you don't agree. But I do not feel appreciated
that some people find this issue so annoying, when it is clearly so important
to us. When an issue is important to someone that is important to me, I stand
by my friend. I don’t diminish their struggles. I don’t make them feel silly
for their opinion or their beliefs. I let them be who they are. This issue has nothing to do with food, but
everything to do with the heart.
I’m somewhat lazy today, so from here on out I will refer to Chick fil a
as “the chick”. Please don’t confuse that with my chick, (Kaitlyn). J
The chick donates millions to three very prominent organizations
that actively puruse the “foundation” of marriage, as they like to call it. All
of their mission statements very clearly define marriage as “between one man
and one woman”. Did you know that among other things, they actively believe
that single mothers should not raise children? That it is detrimental to our
society, and that is a economic burden for everyone else. For those of you that
are single mothers, you should have an opinion about this one. I know several
single mothers & I couldn’t be more proud of them. I don’t feel they are a
burden to me or to society. But these groups do. This excerpt comes straight
from the FRC website –
FRC strongly supports
adoption, particularly as an alternative to abortion, single parenthood, or
foster care. The purpose of adoption is not to provide children for adults who want
them, but to provide for children families that give them the experience of
intact married family life as much as possible. Adoption policy should
therefore include a primary preference for placing children with a married
mother and father as long as such are available.
I’m sorry – what?! So if just one of my parents had wanted me, that
wouldn’t have been ok? My parents adopted me because they were unable to have
children. They were the “adults who wanted them”. They were great parents. They
took care of me from day one, walked with me into adulthood, and still are an
active part of my life. They wanted kids. I was given to them by the blessing
of God. That’s it. Would one of them have been any less of a parent without the
other? No. A single parent is no less of a parent because they don’t have a
spouse. They are stronger, because they have to take on both roles. Being a
single parent makes you no less caring or capable than a married couple.
Moving on, The Family Foundation’s mission statement gives you the same
tagline, “marriage between one man and one woman”. They are actively attempting
to block same sex couples from having domestic partner benefits. Why is this
important? We are not parents yet, but someday we hope to be. For those of you
who are, this will probably tug at your heartstrings. Imagine this. You and
your spouse hope and pray and plan to have a baby. You wait 9 long months for
this little bundle of joy to enter this world. You think day and night about 10
healthy little fingers and 10 healthy little toes. You wonder, “is this kid
going to look like me?” You hope and you pray that you are able to give this
kid every ounce of love that you can and that you, as a parent, are prepared to
emotionally, financially, and physically support them until the day you die.
It’s delivery day and you are off to the hospital. You are in the delivery
room, you’re full of emotion and the moment is here – your baby is finally
ready to enter the world! What a special moment. But then, something happens.
Something isn’t right. Suddenly doctors are flooding around your spouse, and
whisking your baby off. “What’s wrong?!”, you cry out. A doctor answers, “the
baby is in trouble, and your wife is too”. Your worst fears are coming to life.
You’re standing there, and you can’t make a decision for either one of them. By
law, you are not married, and therefore, can’t save your wife. And since you aren’t
married, the child that you watched grow inside your wife is technically not
yours, and therefore you can’t do anything for them either. You can’t save
them. You just have to wait. How does that feel?
Exodus International is the third – and it repeats the same information.
In summary, “pray the gay away”. I will give them some props, because in four
very clear paragraphs they state that they do not condone any violence towards
homosexuals. So for that, thank you.
So back to my point, what does this have to do with the chick? It’s just
chicken, right? Wrong. Children do not come out of the womb hating,
discriminating or judging. It’s behavior that is taught, and these groups
profit from actively working to suppress my life choices.
Hatred is taught, and hatred of homosexuals runs deep.
Just in the past few weeks, let me give you some examples of the hatred
–
A teenage lesbian couple was found shot in a park.
A lesbian couples neighborhood was spray painted with anti gay slurs
An 18-year-old gay man from Texas allegedly slain by a classmate who
feared a sexual advance.
A 24-year-old lesbian from Florida purportedly killed by her
girlfriend's father, who disapproved of the relationship.
A 14 year- old was brutally beaten, bullied and harassed in the school
cafeteria by fellow students shouting homophobic epithets.
Two unnamed men were caught on video yelling anti-LGBTQH slurs and
beating two other patrons
Pastor Charles L. Worley of Providence Road Baptist Church was
videotaped condemning President Obama’s support of same-gender marriage and
calling for LGBTQH people to be put in a pen and electrified until they were
killed.
Kids all across the country are taking their own lives, because they
simply can’t take it anymore.
Most of you don’t have to think twice when you are out with your loved
one. You can act how you want and be who you want, and never give it a second
thought. We have to always be conscious of our surroundings – I don’t want to
end up a headline.
Just the other day, when Kaitlyn was so sick I took her to the emergency
clinic. She was scared and not feeling well. I could hear the nurses from the
other side of the curtain talking about us. It would give me no greater
heartache then to think that she would receive worse medical care and advice
because we are the same sex. Often times we are out trying to enjoy a simple
meal, and people stare at us. As if we are doing something wrong. People have
gone so far as to turn their chairs around to watch us. Are we hurting you? I
am going to eat, be polite to my server, and then leave a 20% tip. I’m not
going to bother anyone, or act out. But people treat us like we are less. As if
our money is not the same, or that we are going to rub our gayness off on them.
It makes us feel less than who we are. We try to maintain a low profile, if you
saw us out, you’d just think we are friends or sisters. But we don’t always get
treated like that, and for that, it makes me sick.
For those of you that have kids - what if your kid walks up to you some day and says, "Mom & Dad, I'm gay". Are you going to continue to support those organizations that tell society that this is so wrong? Are you going to continue to support those organizations that want to take basic freedoms from your child? Are you?
So it’s about more than just a chicken biscuit. The chick is
contributing money to these organizations that want to “protect” marriage, and
take our liberties and freedoms away. They contribute money to those
organizations that continue to educate the idea that homosexual people are less
than everyone else. They contribute money to the “sanctity” of marriage.
Because people like Tiger Woods, Jesse James, Arnold Schwarzenegger and John
Edwards are really protecting its sanctity. That’s who my role models should
be. The 72 hour Kardashian wedding, the Britney Spears wedding weekend and
Sinead O’Connor’s sixteen day nuptials are “normal”. They contribute money and
time to organizations that spread the word that a homosexual relationship is
something to be afraid of. It’s that fear that keeps us in constant fear.
I hate that I have to worry that my love for Kaitlyn could cost her her
life.
For many years I seen for myself the struggles that a gay person endures each day. I have watched eyes cast down at the stares of disapproval. I have watched shoulders slump at the sound of the whispers. I have seen the pain in eyes that should never have to see faces full of raw and unbridled judgement. I have loved the hearts that break over the senseless words and actions of not just strangers, but some of their own friends and family.
ReplyDeleteBut I have also watched these people, some of whom I love most in the world (you included, of course), grow and evolve into the people I also admire most. To love in spite of the fear, in spite of the hate, and in spite of a world that can be so cruel, is beautiful beyond measure. I could only hope we would all love ourselves and each other in the face of such adversity. It's what separates truth from fiction, good from bad, beautiful from ugly. It's the poetic justice of our era.
Someday someone will meet you and she will not like you because you are gay. And for only that reason. Shocking? But someday someone will meet you and she will like because you are gay. And for only that reason. Shocking? Why should it be? Why wouldn't she instantly like the loving, respectful, eloquant, inspiring, couragous and powerful person waving her rainbow flag high?