Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Take 1

First blog. Should I be using an instruction manual or something for this? Surely at this point in my life I can write my own thoughts without having to worry about offending someone else. But probably not.

I have been contemplating a blog for quite some time. But between work and fun stuff, it kept getting put off. But I am going to make time now. I'm sure everyone reading this has just been dying to hear all my random thoughts! Ha.

Today's blog will be about two things. One, what has been on my mind for about the past week. And two, (dum dum da dum), gay rights.

Father's Day is coming up on Sunday, and I can safely say it's the most difficult day of the year for me. It will be six years in September since I lost my Dad. For anyone that has lost someone, I'm sure they can relate that six years is hardly anything but also a lifetime. I can't even put into words. Kaitlyn has the lovely pleasure of dealing with me all week and in particular on Sunday, but as always she makes everything seem happy. I don't know if I ever tell her enough how much she means to me. Probably not, but I am sure she will read this and then hug me and cry, and then I'll know she knows. But back to my original thought. On these types of holidays I go visit my Dad at the cemetery. It is usually busy with other people doing the same thing. It reminds me every year how short life is and how we should live it to the fullest. But does anyone do that, ever? Can you say you do that? My life before September 17, 2006 and after are completely different. I prefer this version of myself and I have to be grateful that in loosing my Dad, I found myself. After his death I blazed this path for myself and I haven't looked back. Only a handful of people truly knew me both before & after and I think they would tell you the same thing. So thanks Dad, for giving me that. Sunday I will be sad but I'm sure Kaitlyn will distract me from myself, she always does.

 Onto my second topics, gay rights. Everyone and their mother seem to have an opinion on this topic. With it being election season, it's splashed around everywhere. It's both annoying and helpful at the same time. It's lovely that people want to take a stand and many celebrities and political figures are so willing to put their support out there. But at the same time, it is frustrating. Only someone who is in our situation can relate. Being in a relationship with someone of the same sex can be difficult if you let it. I'm lucky in that I am a full grown adult and I didn't have to deal with this as a teenager. It's a hard lesson to learn, that not everyone will love and accept you. It's something we always have to think about and protect ourselves, in situations many people take for granted. Even doing something simple, like going to the movies together or getting some food together, we get the looks. Whispers and stares. It used to really bother me. It still annoys me, but we just have to pick the right places to go, where people really won't care who we are. We have learned to surround ourselves with positive people that accept us for who we are. I read things all over the internet where people take very vicious stands towards people like us. I could go on and on about it forever - but I will just say this, I really wish people would get their noses out of our business. I don't come over to your house, walk inside and start telling you all the things I think you "should be doing". So why do people feel the need to tell us? There are PLENTY of heterosexual couples that I don't think should be together. But I don't feel the need to get in their business. If the worst thing I do is love Kaitlyn forever and beyond that, do you REALLY CARE? If God chooses to allow us to have children, and we teach them all the same lessons of love and acceptance towards others unlike themselves, are we really making mankind worse? If you don't agree with how we choose to live our lives, then do just that. Don't agree. But keep it to yourself. I don't care to hear your opinion. We both work, pay our bills and taxes, don't contribute to the national debt, take care of two beautiful animals, try very hard to be humble about our blessings and let our faith lead us. If you read that last sentence and it made you think we are good people, then why does it matter we are both females? Like I said, I could stay on my soapbox forever about this. But I will end with this last thought. God doesn't end all his teachings with "but only if you are straight". They are for all his children. Every single one.

This is it for today. My head is always full of thoughts so I am sure it won't be long before I have more.
Enjoy the day!

2 comments:

  1. Love this Steph! :) Thinking of you on Sunday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep blogging L! You have a lot to say. And a lot of Pol who will read. Feels good, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete